Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Soggy Birthday

I know, I know, I promised I would begin blogging again. This time I have no excuse...although a flooded apartment does hinder Internet activity. And here I am the victim of not one but two flooding experiences.
Yes, while I was gone for the month of December my bedroom flooded. This led to minor damage, a few ruined books and a destroyed sheet. All in all things worked out well and all that needed to be done was a shampoo.
That was really a minor incident in comparison to what happened next. I woke up February 11 to another Birthday. I went about my morning routine and headed to my first class. After sitting through two hours of psychopathology of childhood, and getting a rather unwanted visit from 'mother nature', I hurried myself home.
I started a seemingly harmless load of laundry when suddenly I heard a strange noise. Bubbling was coming from my bathroom. All at once water was everywhere as both the toilet and shower began to overflow. I ran out to the garage and stopped the wash and grabbed as many extra towels as I could find.
Great. My birthday had come down to a day of unwanted overflow. HA! With no way of reaching my landlord I stopped the overflow and cleaned up. I had another class to attend so I made a barrier of towels, left a note, cleaned up and went to my night class. I drove home after class imagining the horror I would find. To my relief all was well, for now.
After being reassured by my landlord that the plumber was coming the next day I went downstairs and began some homework. Weariness began to set in and I decided to check the bathroom one last time before bed. Flooded. And in the kitchen too.
I ran upstairs and woke my slumbering land lady. After she gave me a five gallon shop vac I ran back down stairs. I worked until 3am cleaning up the water and repairing my barricade of towels.
Finally sleep overtook me. But went I awoke, only hours after I had hit the sack, I took three steps and was standing in water. I quickly ran up stairs again. After being told that the plumber would be here in one hour I ran back downstairs and quickly began shop vaccing the water.
Luckily, I hadn't put the bedroom back together yet so nothing was in there to be damaged by the water that was now soaking the carpet, yet again. It took me quite some time, and many trips to empty the water from the vac before it was cleaned up again.
The plumber snaked the pipes only to pull out a giant clump of roots/branches. I was glad to know it wasn't a massive ball of my hair but having a tree growing in the pipes wasn't good either. :P
So, this years birthday was pretty soggy. But I did get a month free of rent out of the whole ordeal. Plus, Dustin the carpet cleaner ;) was a welcomed sight to my water filled eyes. Now the carpet is clean and dry and I can put everything back together...when I get around to it. ;P

1 comment:

I am: Wonderful said...

Firstphently, I MISSED YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! I apologize for being a fail as a friend but in my defense that's the one disclaimer i come with "Hi my name is Bryony, i am horrible at birthdays, lets be friends :)"
Secondly thats just plain SFL that you go flooded twice i am so sorry you had a shit birthday i wish i had known! Hugs and kisses my dear friend!!! xo B xo