Thursday, November 13, 2008

Classic Advertising

While working on a project for my Photography class I found myself drawn towards 40's and 50's style advertising. Everything from the models to the text makes these advertisements so appealing. These are some of the images I used to lay down a foundation for my own project.




I absolutely love this ad. It's basic and limited in its color palette but I think that makes it more vibrant and powerful. It also used a wonderful repetitive diagonal line. You see the diagonal in the models pose, as well as the vacuum, and the drawings of the model in three different positions. These lines help move the eye to the GE company logo at the top right corner as well as down to the text at the bottom of the page. They also strategically placed the dark band across the page to separate the text and image, yet this also is what makes them work together.





This is another classic ad. Again you see a somewhat limited color palette and a great use of form. The text and the model almost form the letter T. This set up helps the eye to focus on the most important pieces of the image. The Budweiser text and the drink itself in the hand of the model.

No comments: